Beetroot and haloumi salad is our dream salad. It is earthy and sweet because of the beetroot and then salty because of the haloumi. This salad was inspired by a much fancier version but we really wanted to create a salad that could be quickly prepared for lunches. You will notice in the photos we have presented the salad as you would for a dinner party but if you chop everything into smaller pieces this gluten free recipe makes the perfect weekday lunch. This salad has bold flavours and textures, making it the most satisfying lunch!
- Preparation time
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time
- 60 minutes
- 2 large beetroots
- 180g haloumi, sliced into lengths 1cm thick
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 420g tin white beans, drained and rinsed
- 75g sprout salad mix, which is generally made up of mung beans, fenugreek, adzuki and lentils (found in the salad fridge at the supermarket)
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tbs good quality olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wash and dry the beetroots, place on a tray and prick with a sharp knife.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 mins, roll them to their opposite sides and cook for another 30 mins. Set aside to cool.
- When cool enough peel the beetroots and slice them into eighths.
- In a bowl place the white beans, sprout salad mix, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, mix together well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized frying pan, gently place the haloumi in and brown on both sides.
- To plate up, place a spoonful of the bean mix, rest a wedge of beetroot on top, lean a slice of pear against that and finally rest the haloumi on top. Repeat this on a large serving dish until you have used all the ingredients. Over the top we sprinkled some sprout salad mix, walnuts and a the final tablespoon of olive oil was drizzled around the plate. Alternatively cut all the ingredients into bite sized pieces and place it in a bowl, they are both delicious!
Here are some more of our gluten free salad ideas to give you some inspiration;
- Quinoa salad with mediterranean vegetables
- Prawn and green mango salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Gluten free potato salad
- Brown rice and roast pumpkin
- Broccoli, green bean and polenta crouton salad