This gluten free breakfast frittata was inspired by our dreams of creating the fluffiest frittata imaginable and here is a tip...we totally succeeded. Impress someone this weekend and serve up a cheesy frittata with spinach, leek and smoked salmon. We don't want to hear about boring gluten free breakfasts ever again!
- Preparation time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking time
- 25 minutes
- 1 leek, washed and finely sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs, separate yolks from whites
- 1 cup of cream
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder, gluten free
- salt and pepper, to season
- 100g smoked salmon, trimmed and rolled into cigars
- 3 tsp cream cheese
- dill, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 6 individual pie tins, large muffin tins or one medium size quiche dish with baking paper.
- In a frying pan sauté the leek until soft.
- Evenly spread the leek on the base of the tins or quiche dish, then layer the cheese on top. Gently place a layer of spinach on top of the cheese, it will be about two leaves thick in most places.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until light and fluffy then add in the yolks and beat lightly until combined. Finally, add the cream and stock powder and season to taste, combine well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the leeks, cheese and spinach, taking it right to the top of the dishes where necessary.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- In the meantime prepare the smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill. When the frittatas are cooked through, remove them from their tins, place the smoked salmon on top, then the cream cheese and finally the dill to garnish.
Enjoy on a lazy Sunday morning. The perfect rustic breakfast to start the perfect weekend day!
- High in phosphorus
- High in selenium
- High in vitamin A
- High in vitamin B12