Today is Melbourne Cup Day and we have a winning gluten free canapé for you! Courtesy of Carême Pastry, we didn't even have to make our own gluten free pastry from scratch, just roll out their delicious gluten free sour cream short crust pastry. The caramelised onion in this tartlet complements the camembert to a tee. It makes a delightful canapé for a celebration, finger food with champagne does it get any better?!
- Preparation time
- 35 minutes
- Cooking time
- 25 minutes
- 300g of gluten free short crust pastry
- 4 red onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp port
- salt and pepper to season
- 125g camembert cheese, evenly sliced into 24 pieces.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll pastry (if required) until approximately 2mm thick and cut out 24 rounds to fit into a greased, round based patty pan tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium pan and cook onions for 10 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, port and sugar and reduce until caramelised.
- Spoon a teaspoon of onion into each tartlet case and top with a piece of camembert cheese. Cook tartlets for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish when slightly cooled.
- 110 calories per tartlet
- Low in sodium
- Very high in vitamin B6