Gluten free chicken and mango salad is perfect for a hot day. It has been an ultra hot summer and on a particularly warm day we were expecting guests so we decided to create this tasty summer salad. It is quick and simple but delicious enough to serve to guests as a main (after a scrumptious cheese plate). The mango, chicken and Thai inspired sauce work impeccably together. Everyone at the table will be wanting the recipe - so here it is!
- Preparation time
- 60 minutes
- Cooking time
- 20 minutes
- 2 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to season
- 200g baby spinach
- 2 mangoes, peeled and finely sliced, lengthways
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped or juliened
- 150g snow peas, finely sliced, lengthways
- 1 punnet of baby tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1/2 lebanese cucumber peeled, quartered and chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- cashews to serve
Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Season the chicken breast and brown in an oiled frying pan, approximately 3 minutes on each side will suffice. On an oven tray, wrap the chicken in alfoil, neatly securing the edges and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Place the chicken on a plate and leave to cool.
- In a small jug place the chopped chilli, sugar, lime juice and fish sauce and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Prepare the mango, capsicum, carrot, snow peas, tomatoes and cucumber. Starting with the baby spinach, layer the vegetables in the serving bowl or plate.
- Slice the chicken breasts thinly and layer on top of the vegetables.
- Evenly pour the dressing over the salad. Sprinkle the spring onions and coriander over the top and finish with a handful of cashews.
This salad is filling enough to serve as a meal but don't hesitate to impress your friends at the next BBQ you are attending. To make it lighter for an occasion like that just reduce the amount of chicken.
Looking for more gluten free salad inspiration? Take a peek at these scrumptious concoctions;
- Quinoa salad with mediterranean vegetables
- Beetroot and haloumi salad
- Prawn and green mango salad
- Gluten free potato salad
- Brown rice and roast pumpkin
- Broccoli, green bean and polenta crouton salad
- 300 calories per serving
- High in niacin
- High in selenium
- Very high in vitamin A
- Very high in vitamin B6
- Very high in vitamin C