Here is a gluten free Christmas pudding ice cream because being gluten free doesn't always mean missing out on the Christmas goodies. It is a Christmas treat worth being gluten free for, because who doesn't love ice cream? No flour required... #betterthanchristmas... pudding!
This gluten free recipe is also pretty easy and doesn't require hanging for a month before eating. We think it is the better option on all accounts!
Have a Merry Christmas!
- Preparation time
- 60 minutes
- Cooking time
- 15 minutes
- 150g of mixed dried fruit (we used 100g of cranberries and 50g of mixed raisins and currants)
- 50ml brandy
- 50ml port
- 1 orange, juiced and zested (if you please)
- 750ml cream (or 500ml cream and 250ml milk)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 5 egg yolks
- 110g caster sugar
- Place the dried fruit, brandy, port, orange juice and zest in a bowl to soak over night.
- The following day place the cream, vanilla seeds and cinnamon stick in a saucepan, bring it to the simmer then remove it from the heat and leave it to stand for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime place the egg yolks and sugar in and bowl and whisk until they turn pale yellow and thicken.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the yolks and sugar and whisk. Return the mixture to the heat until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- Cool before placing the cream mixture in an ice cream maker to churn. When the ice cream is churned fold in the fruit mixture and freeze in a dish/dishes of your choice.
(If you do not have an ice cream maker you will need to place the cream mixture in the freezer, when the edges are frozen, take it out and beat with an electric beater. Repeat twice but on the final time fold in the fruit mix.)
We topped with melted dark chocolate and a few extra sultanas. You could also melt some chocolate and spread it out on baking paper, sprinkle dried fruit over it and snap into pieces when dry to make chocolate and fruit shards to serve the gluten free christmas pudding ice cream with. This one will definitely be on the menu again next Christmas!
- 230 calories per 100g serving.
If you are looking for more Christmas recipes try these babies. Read it and eat, well you will want to!