Gluten free damper - this was our first time camping since being on a gluten free diet and we couldn't camp sans damper. So we made a recipe...
You know how there are those flavour combinations that just work? For example onion and bacon (and mushroom too), strawberries and cream, champagne and caviar (we can only imagine!)... well that is how we feel about macadamia nuts and white chocolate. They were made for each other. As were camping and damper. You can't do one without the other so here is our gluten free damper recipe with white chocolate and macadamia nuts for your gluten free camping adventures. We even went on our own gluten free camping trip to bring you this recipe.
- Preparation time
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time
- 1 hour and 1 hours
- 1 3/4 cups fine white rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 75g butter, chilled and cubed
- 2/3 cup milk, have a little extra on hand
- 150g gluten free white chocolate bits
- 1 cup of macadamia nuts
- Mix rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Use your fingers to rub the butter through the gluten free flour mixture until you have a crumbly consistency.
- Add milk and stir with a wooden spoon until you have dough (extra milk may be required).
- Mix in the chocolate and macadamias.
- Shape into a ball and flatten to about 10cm in depth. Wrap in alfoil, doing 3 layers and flipping it each time so it is well sealed and no ash can get in.
- To cook your damper, dig a hole at least a metre away from your fire. Fill that hole with a layer of hot coals, then cover that with a few millimetres of dirt. Place your damper on the dirt, then cover the damper with another layer of dirt and then a layer of coals. Cook for 40 minutes then replenish the coals (bottom and top) and flip the damper cooking for another 40 minutes.
- You can prepare all dry ingredients in a container before you go, saving you from having to take so many different packages.
- You can also substitute all dry ingredients for a ready-made all-purpose gluten free self-raising flour but this mix did work a treat if you are up for a challenge.
This gluten free damper is delicious fresh from the coals when the chocolate is oozing! Find more gluten free recipes and read about the gluten free camping trip we embarked on to create this recipe.
- 497 calories per serving
- Low in cholesterol