Gluten free pad thai is simple to make but bursting with flavour. It is our Friday night favourite! Pad Thai is often a good gluten free option when eating out but always make sure you ask upon ordering, some restaurants may sneak soy into their versions and double check the fish sauce is definitely a gluten free brand.
Thai food is delicious and refreshing and as a bonus has many gluten free dishes. Thai food in general and this gluten free pad thai in particular, makes use of a lot of fresh vegetables and delicious flavours such as lime and lemon juice and coriander. It is the perfect summer meal on its own or the best accompaniment to a Thai curry.
- Preparation time
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time
- 15 minutes
- 250g packet rice noodles
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 300g green prawns, peeled, deveined
- 2 chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 small red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 150g snowpeas, top and tailed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- lime wedges, to serve
- In a large bowl place the rice noodles and cover with boiling water. When tender strain the noodles.
- In a jug combine the lemon juice, tamarind, fish sauce and brown sugar, stir well.
- In a wok or frying pan, add the peanut oil and brown the chicken first, then add the prawns, onions and chilli, cooking until the prawns turn pink.
- Add the noodles and sauce, stir well until combined and then crack the eggs over the top and toss through until cooked.
- Turn off the heat and add the bean sprouts.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with coriander and peanuts, serve with lime wedges.
Pad thai is a quick and delicious weeknight meal and very easy to make gluten free. But, always make sure your ingredients are gluten free, it is important to check nuts and sauces as some manufacturing processes sometimes mean a product will come into contact with gluten.
- 420 calories per serving
- Very high in vitamin B6
- High in vitamin C