This gluten free pizza has a delicious crispy base, but be warned, it has a hole in it! That hole is for salad because we thought we would do a healthy take on gluten free pizza. The salad is a Moroccan inspired carrot, pistachio and sultana salad. The pizza topping is Moroccan lamb, caramelised onion and minted yoghurt. Are you salivating yet...because we are.
- Preparation time
- 40 minutes
- Cooking time
- 40 minutes
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- 1 sachet of yeast
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml warm water
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 450g lamb steak, trimmed
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil, extra
- 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs mint, chopped
- 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 100g greek yoghurt
- 4 carrots, julienned into thin strips
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs sultanas
- Place the plain flour, yeast, pepper, salt and oil in a bowl and mix, slowly adding the water until you have a workable dough.
- Half the dough and roll each piece between two pieces of baking paper until it is 3-4mm thick, using a cookie cutter or a large glass cut a hole in the middle of the pizza to place the salad after cooking.
- Preheat your pizza trays in the oven to get a crispier base.
- Make the Moroccan spice rub by combining the spices, salt and garlic salt and mixing well. Set aside 1/2 teaspoon of the Moroccan in a small bowl.
- Prepare the lamb by drizzling 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the steaks then rub the remaining spice mix over the lamb and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- To caramelise the onions place the chopped red onion, extra olive oil, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions have caramelised and soaked up all the moisture. Set them aside.
- In a bowl combine the mint, lemon juice and greek yoghurt and set aside.
- Cook the lamb on a medium high heat to seal each side, 2 minutes on each side will do. When the lamb has cooled enough, slice it thinly.
- In a bowl combine the garlic, 2 teaspoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of Moroccan spice and use a basting brush to spread it over the bases.
- Bake the bases on your pre-heated oven trays for 15 minutes in a moderate oven.
- Remove the bases from the oven and divide the lamb and caramelised onion evenly over the two bases. Place them back in the oven for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Remove them from the oven and dollop the yoghurt dressing around the pizza and sprinkle the pine nuts to finish. Divide the carrot salad and place in the middle of each pizza.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, it isn't actually a difficult recipe to cook and it is well worth the shopping trip because everyone will be impressed by the presentation and the flavour!
This gluten free Moroccan lamb pizza was featured in the May 2014 issue of Yum. Gluten Free magazine.