These gluten free stuffed mushrooms were hamburger inspired, they look nothing like hamburgers now but they are delicious! The lamb burger is served in the mushroom, the salad is underneath and the fries are sweet potato, served on the side. The chimichurri sauce gives the dish an extra kick with its delicious favours. This gluten free dish is the perfect way to impress guests or just spoil yourself. No bread in sight, these babies are also paleo friendly, nut, grain and dairy free.
- Preparation time
- 50 minutes
- Cooking time
- 60 minutes
- 5 large portobello mushrooms
- 250g good quality lamb mince
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbs parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs semi dried tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 tbs ground cumin
- 1/2 tbs paprika
- 4 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into fries
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 100g baby spinach
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop them finely.
- In a bowl mix the mushroom stalks, lamb mince, red onion, garlic, spices, parsley and semi dried tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Fill the mushrooms with the stuffing and place them on an oven tray.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the mince is cooked through.
While the mushrooms are cooking make the chimichurri sauce.
- Chop the chilli, tomatoes and parsley then place them in a bowl with the garlic, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, paprika and olive oil and combine thoroughly.
If you are going to make these sides we recommend you start cooking the sweet potato fries first as they take the longest in the oven.
- Peel and chop the potato.
- Lay all the uncooked fries on an oven tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven.
- When you are ready to put the mushrooms in, flip the fries and leave them in until they mushrooms are done, they will be golden and delicious.
- We served the mushrooms on a bed of baby spinach and avocado. To do this just distribute the baby spinach and sliced avocado over five plates. Keep it in the centre as a bed for the mushroom to rest on.
This gluten free recipe is one step ahead of a home cooked meal while still having a hearty and whole food approach. You will need a little time to prepare the elements but you will be rewarded with a hamburger-esque flavour combination to impress your tastebuds. Bon Appetit!
- 350 calories per serving
- No cholesterol
- Very high in vitamin A
- High in vitamin B6
- High in vitamin C