Gluten free sweet potato gnocchi, with a hint of pumpkin for something different. Sweet potato is the best vegetable and gnocchi is the best pasta, so we fused the two together and made this gluten free delight and smothered it in a butter sage sauce.
- Preparation time
- 45 minutes
- Cooking time
- 20 minutes
- 300g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 200g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups of Well and Good pastry flour
- extra flour, for kneading
- 175g lightly salted butter
- 10 large sage leaves and roughly ripped
- 150g baby spinach
- Steam the sweet potato and pumpkin in the microwave for 8 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- When cool, mash until smooth. Add the egg and salt. Gradually add the flour, stirring until combined. The mixture should come together to be just workable, don’t add too much flour because it will make the gnocchi tough.
- Lightly flour a clean surface. Knead the gnocchi dough into a ball. Divide it equally into four pieces and individually roll each portion into a log shape, until it is 2cm in diameter. Using a clean knife slice the logs into 3cm long pieces. With floured hands shape the gnocchi into oval shapes and press a fork along the top to make a lined pattern.
- To cook the gnocchi bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook the gnocchi in two batches to avoid it sticking. Add half the gnocchi and as it bobs to the surface scoop it out and place in a colander, over a bowl, to drain any excess water. Repeat with the remaining gnocchi.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, when bubbling add the sage and leave for 2 minutes before taking it off the heat.
- In a frying pan add 3 tbs of the sage butter and sauté the baby spinach lightly, until heated through.
- To serve, place a bed of spinach in six bowls, top with the gnocchi and finish with the sage butter sauce.
We recommend the Well and Good pastry flour because it gives a real fluffiness to the gnocchi. If you can't get it we recommend you use a very good quality gluten free plain flour blend.