Mediterranean food is one of our favourite cuisines. The focus on fresh food and simple combinations result in bold flavours and delectable meals. Not the mention Italy, in particular, is outstanding at gluten free! This veal and mozzarella stack is no exception to this rule. The tomato and cheese combination is an old time favourite, so the whole family will love this dish. It is gluten free, full of flavour and utterly delicious. It tastes better than it photographs, so don't let that put you off. Bellissimo!
- Preparation time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 500g good quality mozzarella cheese
- 8 x 100g veal schnitzels (not crumbed)
- 20 fresh sage leaves
- 8 thin slices of prosciutto
- 1 litre of good quality tomato based pasta sauce
- 80g parmesan, grated
Preheat oven to 200°C. Oil a medium sized oven-proof dish.
- Slice the mozzarella.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with 4 of the schnitzels, layer with half the sage leaves, half the prosciutto and half the mozzarella. Repeat the process, keeping the schnitzels lined up for easy of serving.
- Cover the layers with the tomato sauce and top with parmesan.
- Cover the dish and cook for 25 minutes. Then remove the cover and finish for a further 5 minutes.
Serve with a fresh leafy green salad.
We used Don Antonio's sugo tradizionale for the tomato sauce. It is a beautifully rich, traditional tomato sauce with a few veggies, onion and garlic to finish it off. Buon Appetito.