Gluten free doesn't always have to be difficult. These quick and spicy beans are gluten free and perfect for those 'I can't be bothered nights'. It is our go to meal when we have no food in the fridge, because most of it comes from the pantry, and there is usually a carrot and capsicum rolling around in the veggie crisper. It is full of fibre, and definitely flavour, and makes the best lunch the next day. We guarantee the whole family will love it. So let's get cooking!
- Preparation time
- 10 minutes
- Cooking time
- 40 minutes
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 410g tinned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 410g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 410g tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 410g corn kernels, drained
- salt and pepper, to season
- In a large saucepan, add the butter, when melted add the onion, garlic and chillies. Cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes or until the onion is clear.
- Add the carrot, capsicum, red kidney beans and chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes and, then add the spices, mixing well.
- Add the chicken stock, tinned tomatoes and tomato paste. Combine well, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover cooking for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, add the corn and season to taste, mix well. You are ready to eat!
We often serve these gluten free quick and spicy beans with creamy polenta but it would also work perfectly with corn couscous and the next day we demolish it for lunch, just on its own! Enjoy.