Not sure about your thoughts on this but gluten free breakfast can sometimes really suck (in our opinion). Gluten free bread doesn't light your fire? The old cereal and milk combo lacking lustre? Fruit and yoghurt failing to satisfy? We all hit a breakfast rut occasionally. The old favourite all of a sudden seems a little dreary and you need to freshen up your start to the day. So, here is a delicious gluten free quinoa breakfast slice to give you the kick start you need.
Quinoa is such a good alternative grain to include in a gluten free diet, it is high in protein and that all important fibre. Chia and linseed also fall into this category so we added them into the recipe for good measure. The fruit and honey provide sweetness to your day and the milk a good portion of calcium oh and there are eggs in there too! What can we say, there isn't too much that is bad about this healthy, yummy, gluten free breakfast slice.
- Preparation time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking time
- 60 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup of linseed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup honey, warmed slightly
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
Preheat oven to 180℃.
- In a small bowl mix the quinoa, linseed and chia seeds and spread them on the bottom of an 18 x 28cm baking dish.
- Sprinkle apples, blueberries and sultanas over the top of the quinoa mix.
- In a bowl whisk the milk, eggs, spices and honey and gently pour over the top of the quinoa and apple mix in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle almonds over the top and bake for 1 hour or until set.
- Serve immediately or, if you prefer, leave to cool and serve with yoghurt.
This is a good one to make on at Sunday afternoon as it will see you through the week. We can't guarantee it though, that your other household members won't steal some if they find out how delicious it is!
- 270 calories per serving
- Low in sodium
- High in vitamin B6
- Dietary fibre 6.5g (26% per serving)