Quinoa salad is a great gluten free meal. It is filling, delicious and healthy. In this salad we pair quinoa with Mediterranean vegetables, which lend a fabulous freshness that is complemented by the tang of the dressing. The best thing about this salad is, all the vegetables are in season right now.
- Preparation time
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time
- 45 minutes
- 2 medium capsicums
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 zucchinis, chopped into 2cm cubes
- olive oil, salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon stock powder (chicken or vegetable)
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 100g feta
- Place the capsicums on a tray under the grill. Cook until the skin starts to bubble and go black, then turn them. They will need a few minutes on each side. When all the sideds are done, set them aside to cool.
- On a tray, place the zucchini and eggplant, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a 180°C oven for 15 minutes before turning the vegetables and roasting for a further 15 minutes. Set them aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan place the quinoa, water and stock powder. Bring to the boil and keep it there for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the quinoa, allow it sit and absorb the remaining water while it cools.
- Once the capsicums have cooled, peel the skin from them, then remove the seeds and slice into 5mm wide strips.
- To make the dressing, place 3 tablespoons of olive oil, cayenne pepper, cumin, tomato paste and lime juice into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- When the ingredients have cooled enough place them all in a bowl and toss with the dressing, then crumble the feta over the top.
This salad is good as a meal or as an accompaniment to a BBQ. Which ever way you choose to serve it, it will be the talk of the table.
If you are looking for more delicious, gluten free salad recipes, why not check these out;
- Beetroot and haloumi salad
- Prawn and green mango salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Gluten free potato salad
- Brown rice and roast pumpkin
- Broccoli, green bean and polenta crouton salad