Gluten free rhubarb polenta cake is the perfect way to turn a cold winter's day into a warm and comforting one, from the inside out. Rhubarb is some of our favourite winter produce and what better concoction to put it in than a cake. There is so much to love about this cake, starting with the fact it isn't overly sweet, thanks to the rhubarb. It is warming and comforting with the polenta, yet refreshing with the zesty orange and tangy rhubarb. This gluten free cake will have you wishing it was winter all year round, until it is gone...and then you will have to make another one!
- Preparation time
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time
- 60 minutes
- 1 bunch of rhubarb, trimmed and and sliced into 10cm long pieces
- 500ml cups water
- 225g (1 cup) sugar
- 185g butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbs orange rind, finely grated
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g gluten free self raising flour, we used Orgran gluten free self raising flour
- 80g polenta
- 60ml buttermilk
- 2 oranges juice, juiced
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line and grease a deep 20cm cake tin. Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- Combine water and 225g of sugar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, without stirring. Add the rhubarb and bring it back to a simmer for approximately 4 minutes. Remove the rhubarb from the saucepan and set aside.
- Beat butter and remaining sugar until pale and creamy, continue to beat, adding the eggs one at a time. Sift the flour and polenta into the bowl and fold into the mixture with the buttermilk.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and top with the rhubarb.
- Bake the cake for approximately an hour.
- To make the syrup take 1 cup of the sugar syrup from the saucepan the rhubarb was cooking in and heat in a smaller saucepan with the juice of the oranges.
- Remove the cake from the tin and turn so the rhubarb is facing up, drizzle half the syrup over the top and set the remaining aside for serving.
This cake is delicious as a dessert, served warm with the syrup and thick cream or as a snack on its own.
Looking for more gluten free cake recipes? Look no further;
- Gluten free chocolate mud cake
- Flourless chocolate and raspberry cake with white chocolate sauce
- Gluten free carrot cake
- Gluten free banana cake